Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Excuse me while I listen to the Fuzzy Toasters

Never heard of them? Really......


I made a remark to friend how flannel parallels a country's economic state (early 90's- late 00's) But I was quickly corrected. "No no," he said. "Hipsters just need some way to keep warm in the winter."

I do not live in a city but I do live on a university campus, which means I am swarmed with a distinct breed: The College Know It All Hippie hipster.

Sure every generation feels they are the last. Even Sophoceles thought his was. But sometimes I feel ours truely is. Despite the economy, global warming, and the war, we also have to deal with bears, robots, robot BEARS, managing a facebook!!, pirates, solanium outbreaks, and the list goes on. Even if we get caught up feeling we are the last, we still can't forget that we are not the first.

On that note, you don't ever have to worry about a man riding around on segway shouting, "The hipsters are coming! The hipsters are coming!" If you haven't realized already, the hipster movement landed decades ago, it'll hit you across the face like a teatherball. Being a hipster isn't anything new.

Ironic, isn't it?


I am confused. I thought hipsters were non conformists, non mainstreamists. Somewhere this got lost because I can describe a hipster from the top of their Ray Bans to the bottom of their Chuck Taylors..... Do they love irony so much because they themselves are ironic?

How come Falling Slowly is always playing in my hallway then? I believe I may have eaten that song for dinner one night. And I swear to Sun Ra, if I have to hear my roomate play Regina Spektor one more time, I'm taking that Across the Universe poster and launching it where it says it is. But I don't by any means live amongst the hipsters....These were all once jumped at by hipsters, but then every hipster liked it and badabing badaboom, its a mainstream success. And by mainstream, I mean my mom knows it. I find you have to give tunes the ipod commerical test now to see if it'll take to a hipster. If a song is played on an ipod commerical, its trip the light fantastic, for this week at least. If its played on a commerical thats not for Apple, best not reference it in a thrift store because it's sorta like that fourth album by Weezer*, Maladroit: Who fucking cares about it? (On that note, I believe I don't stand alone when I ask, When is the new Jicks video going to come out? )

I am terribly baffled by the music. I don't understand why hipsters pretentiously feel the need to know indie music only a handful of people have heard of. I feel closer to someone knowing we share a favorite artist. And as Jay Retard once said, "there's sometimes a reason why alot of indie music goes unheard of- just because it's indie doesn't mean it's good!" Yeah I saw that in this awesome interview he did with Pitchfork magazine.......

Woa, what-


I mean....I saw... it.... on......... Oh Damn You Hipsters!! All you do is make me feel like I'm not unique! I JUST WANT TO LISTEN TO PAVEMENT BECAUSE I GENUINELY LOVE LOU REED. And I grew up listening to classic rock, so of course I enjoy the wolf parade, I love David Bowie! I reserve the right to love the Hold Steady because I love Bruce Springsteen. Can I help it if Jack White's voice makes me all fittery and jittery because I think it sounds a little like Robert Plant?

If this makes me a hipstercrite, so be it.




I thought I'd never consider myself a hipster.

Then I realized I said that in a blog.


Hey, I could be saying that into a hamburger phone.......

Or wondering if anyone else has problems fitting their ipod in the their pants pocket?


...no really though, does that bludge make my butt look nonexistant?




*Fufills obligation to make a Weezer/Rivers Cuomo reference every couple of blogs or so.....I mean, what if Brian Bell were to read this...... just sayin....Oh who am I kidding, he's not! Hey Brian, your solo projects make the Red Album look Blue.

No comments: