Sunday, October 26, 2008

Ninjas, Math, and Spinach Puffs

Our math teacher gave us a proposition: wear your costume to class on Halloween and get 5 extra points on the next exam. On the last quiz there was one question: Why are man hole covers round? I said because the Ninja turtles can't fit down square holes with their shells.

I need all the help I can get..... I knew what I had to do.

Halloween this year is on a friday. We also have a show on Halloween. This friday I woke up and of course remembered I had show tonight. So I got dressed in my Halloween costumed and headed to class. I get there and see no one else is in their costume. "Haha," I thought. "I am the only one who is getting the extra points!"


Then I remembered today is not Halloween.


***


I used to be quite familiar with the walk from a rehearsal building to the local 24 hour convenience store. Every Saturday morning I had to make the short trek, rain or shine or wind, to get a diet Pierre with Lime for the director. Apparently he couldn't direct without it. Or get it himself. I don't think he knew my name, but I know he knew his place. I was just his assistant stage manager. And thank yous, aren't in my job description.

To this day I still won't drink diet Pierre with Lime. I even hate the sound of it. It's just a more expensive way say Sprite.

A year later, he saw me in a production not under his direction. He even went out of his way to me to genuinely congratulate me afterwards. I don't care that he likely still doesn't know my name. A change from our usual brief conversation was all that mattered.

I wish I could say this tale would have a happy ending.....I'm hoping it's just not over yet.

Later that night the director of the show and I are at a reception. We spot spinach puffs from across the room. Naturally, our first inclination is to decide to be Ninjas and we prance stealthily over to our prize. I was so wrapped up in the moment, my ninja skills failed me, and I crashed right into...... yes, the old director, causing spillage of many sorts.

Never have I fallen from grace so quickly after working so hard to reach it.


***


Embarrassing moments are like Ninjas. No matter how much you brace yourself for them, you still never know when they're going to attack next.

No comments: