Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Greatest Man That Ever Lived Review (7/19/08)

“I’m the baddest of the bad. I’m the best that you’ve ever had. I’m the tops, I’m the king. All the girls get up when I sing.”

What is this? Sounds like David Hasselholf’s latest attempt at a rap ditty put out to fill the voids in his midlife crisis gone horribly wrong. Nope. It is Rivers Cuomo’s apology for Make Believe.

Like most of my current obsessions I usually don’t care too much for a song when I first hear it. This one was no exception. It took a while to get past the police sirens followed by beat poetry and choir hymns that I forgot, did I put on a rock opera? Have no fear, it ends with the classic not-ashamed-to-be-Weezer that any Pinkerton fan demands. Maybe because I like to mull over the days when I put A Day at the Races up on the pedestal higher than Cheech & Chong on a green day or because I’m a sucker for anything off beat coming down with a slight case of the grunge but River’s maelstrom of clamor and just plain creepiness leaves me feeling complete. If there’s not even a small part of you who feels this song is brilliantly catchy, then you’re lying.

As far as the rest of the album goes, gosh, how I miss thee green and blue!

No comments: