Friday, January 30, 2009

Please Say This Ain't So


I think the worst part about growing up is realizing you are not unique.
Yet we still search for different. Is it possible for different to run out? Is there a limited supply of different? And where can I get myself some of this different?


I didn't tune in for much of the Super Bowl because the Puppy Bowl had my heart, however I managed to catch the unlikely coupling of Bob Dylan and Will.I.Am (...and let's not forget about Gumby too) for a Pepsi ad. You know what? It worked for what it was: refreshing and bubbly, just like the pop. But some pairs should never even be considered. How this snuck past the drawing board still baffles me. There is a fine line between creative coupling and tasteless toiling with the past to make it the present. Double G not only walked the line, but crossed it too.


Tired of Dave Mathews and O.A.R. UCONN? Well, suck it in suck it in suck it in if you're Rin Tin Tin because here comes Asher Roth to spit it back out. What sets Asher Roth aside from other rappers? No, the answer's not because he's white. Asher Roth may be compared to Eminem but that's due to his voice sounding frighteningly similar- it certainly can't be his lyrics. If anything, he's emulating Vanilla Ice. Yes, the lyrics are that mind numbing.
man i love college
I give him credit for writing about what he knows..... Even if all he knows is blatantly unimpressive. I can't wait for the hilarity to ensue 10 years from now when he's ripped a new one on VH1's I Love The 00's. Then again, maybe we won't have to wait that long. Roth is set in a league of his own because he raps about 'The Good Life' of the suburbs. It may be like nothing else hip hop has seen before but it's everything any Pinkerton fan has. Asher, after you've graduated from your red plastic solo cups, you should probably credit Rivers Cuomo at some point. And I wouldn't play the "it's-one-note-off-so-it's-different" card because that too, has already been done.

No comments: