Thursday, January 8, 2009

Fruit Covered Nails: A Few Words on "Helping The Hype"

When I first heard Vampire Weekend, I was scared one more listen and I would find myself at an ugly sweater-vest party sporting a pair of boat shoes. Too much Vampire Weekend in too little time might be perilous for anyone.

A year later, Vampire Weekend was on my list of the most overrated albums birthed by 2008. The damage was done.

On second thought, maybe I will help the hype. After all, there was reason it was stuck on repeat in my head and in my truck.




'Mansford Roof" didn't strike my fancy at first listen. I thought with a name like Vampire Weekend here struts another quirky indie rock band imitating an artist which was influenced by another that was channeling The Velvet Underground.

I stand corrected. No really, I do. By the time 'Oxford Comma' had finished, I was done. It was over. I joined in the craze.

'Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa' has college radio hit written all over it. It's uncomplicated and catchy but aware of not being too catchy. I unconditionally fall for any band who is sly enough to sound as though they are not trying too hard. That way, you feel hip in order to be worthy enough to listen. 'Walcot' and 'Campus' hooks are smooth and smart while the lyrics are charming and clever. It's so pretentious it becomes unpretentious by default.

'A-Punk' is my pick. The guitar riffs are a play on the early 70's American punk meets the present day indie-rock gimmick. You just can't hate the song. It differs from other tracks such as 'M79', 'Boston', and 'Bryn' where Vampire Weekend proves you can only do so much afropop without making it all sound the same. Despite being far from flawless, the self titled album did just about everything but smile back and tell me to have a dashing afternoon. At the height of their hype, Vampire Weekend undoubtedly remains a defining band of 2008, overrated or not.

One more whammy. It seems these lads (and Peter Gabriel too) know how to make a music video. The first few seconds gave me the illusion I had stepped into a Tarantino film. It just reeks the essence of cool when Ezra Koenig swaggers, "Who gives a f*ck about an Oxford Comma?"


But the real question they should be asking: Does indie-rock's prize have the power to overcome the infamous second album slump or do the kids don't stand a chance?

1 comment:

V is for... said...

your puns are excruciatingly bad.
and to be honest the first time i heard v.w. i wondered why the hell should i care. it got catchier after a few more encounters.